Steven R. Anderson, CPA*, JD, Our Managing Partner
Steven Anderson is the co-founder and President of Anderson & Jahde, P.C. For 17 years Martindale-Hubbell has awarded him its highest, preeminent, rating in legal ability and ethical standards. Mr. Anderson was named one of Denver’s Top Rated Lawyers of 2014 by Legal Leaders in Commercial Litigation, General Practice and Professional Liability.
He has served as lead counsel in some of the highest profile tax cases out of Colorado, and elsewhere, including a criminal tax case which the Department of Justice identified as one of the largest tax evasion case in the history of Colorado, a seminal case won in the United States Supreme Court, a precedent setting gift tax case in the United States Tax Court, and a defining Colorado Sales & Use tax case.
In his 25 years of practice, Mr. Anderson has helped well over a thousand taxpayers to find solutions to their tax disputes with the IRS and state and local taxing authorizes.
He has also represented hundreds of Certified Public Accountants and CPA firms in all facets of their profession, including defending malpractice claims, defending complaints filed with state boards of accountancy, defending complaints filed with the AICPA, defending complaints lodged with the IRS’s Office of Professional Responsibility, defending return-preparer-penalties asserted by the IRS, and defending accountants facing criminal tax charges. Mr. Anderson has also represented and consulted accounting firms and their owners in the context of firm break ups and formations. Mr. Anderson has also served as an expert in tax and accounting malpractice cases.
With his background, clients also call upon Mr. Anderson to represent them in business and commercial litigation cases.
He is an adjunct professor at the University of Denver, College of Law, Graduate Tax Program, and a sought after speaker for the many Continuing Education courses he has authored and instructed for Attorneys and Accountants (see course topics below).
In 2004 the Internal Revenue Service invited Mr. Anderson to participate as a practitioner panelist on its nationally broadcast Internet program, Tax Talk Today, on the topic of IRS Appeals. And the Internal Revenue Service has hired Mr. Anderson to present continuing educations courses to its employees on the topic of ethics in tax practice.
- University of Colorado (B.S., Business Administration with Emphasis in Accounting, 1979)
- Metropolitan State College (B.A., Psychology, 1984)
- University of Denver (J.D., 1987)
- Certified Public Accountant, Colorado, 1984 (inactive)
- 1987, Colorado, U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Tax Court and U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- American Bar Association –Tax Section Member
- Colorado Society of Certified Public Accountants
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Colorado Trial Lawyers Association
- Greater Denver Tax Counsel – Past Member
- Denver Tax Association
- Certified Public Accountant, Colorado, 1984. (Inactive)
- Contributing Author: “Effectively Representing Your Client Before the New IRS”
- American Bar Association, Section on Taxation, 2002.
- Author: When The IRS Wants Your Client to Pay Trust Fund Taxes Part I, II and III, Colorado Lawyer, September, October, November, 1997.
- Adjunct Professor, University of Denver, College of Law, Graduate Tax Program.
- Listed in “The Best Lawyers In America”
- Continuing Education Instructor: “Ethics In Tax Practice;” “Employment Taxes: A Potentially Devastating Problem;” “Colorado Sales and Use Taxes;” “IRS Collections: The King’s Life’s Blood;” “Accountant Liability: What Every Accountant Should Know;” “IRS Controversies: Helping Taxpayers in Trouble;” “Ethics in Tax Practice;” “IRS Restructuring and Reformation Act of 1988.”